30th December 2014
A recent survey has revealed that almost three quarters (74%) of vets across the UK report a surge in dogs requiring medical attention after consuming harmful human food over Christmas, according to Direct Line Pet Insurance.
The research also revealed that more than eight in 10 (86 per cent) have treated dogs for ingesting harmful human food in the last year. Almost three quarters (74 per cent) say this issue is particularly prevalent at Christmas, with significant increases in the number of cases, compared to any other time of the year.
Over half of vets surveyed (57 per cent) reported seeing cases involving chocolate, which is potentially fatal to dogs. In many instances these harmful foods were not deliberately given to pets, but accidentally consumed.
Many vets attribute the rise in harmful consumption over the festive season to greater quantities of potentially toxic foods around the home. With human treats like chocolate, Christmas pudding and mince pies often easily accessible and owners frequently distracted, the festive period can be a potentially dangerous time for dogs.
Most common types of harmful human food ingested by dogs over the Christmas period:
- Grapes, raisins (found in mince pies, Christmas pudding and Christmas cake)
- Scraps from roast dinners (onion in stuffing)
Madeline Pike, veterinary nurse at Direct Line Pet Insurance, says:
“It is concerning to see so many cases of dogs eating harmful human foods as there are serious health implications if consumed in certain quantities.
“If you suspect that your dog has eaten something harmful, like chocolate, raisins, or onions, see a vet immediately. At Christmas, we may think our dogs, like us, deserve a treat, but just make sure that this is specifically designed for dogs, otherwise we may be doing more harm than good.”
Giving chocolate to a dog can cause serious harm as it contains a substance called theobromine. Similar to caffeine, the stimulant is poisonous to dogs and can affect the heart, central nervous system and kidneys. Symptoms can occur from four hours after ingesting chocolate and can include vomiting, diarrhoea, increased heart rate and seizures.
Along with avoiding chocolate, owners should avoid feeding dogs grapes, raisins, onions or garlic and ensure that mince pies, Christmas cake, Christmas pudding and stuffing are kept well out of reach.